Black Bean & Corn Summer Salad
Get in the swing of summer with this quick and light protein-packed black bean and corn salad. It may even become your go-to dish for backyard gatherings!
Yield: 2 servings
- Sauce pan
- Large bowl
- Measuring Cups
- 1 can black beans Sub other beans as desired
- ½ can sweet corn
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions You can also use yellow or sweet onions.
- ⅓ cup couscous Instant is best. Look for ‘just add water’. You can also sub quinoa.
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili flake optional
- 1 clove garlic Fresh or minced
- Prepare the vegetable broth with boiling water. Then pour it over the couscous in a large bowl. Don’t put too much water in – the ideal water level is just enough to cover the couscous. You can always add more as needed.
- Chop the spring and red onions into thin half slices.
- Chop the garlic (If you’re using fresh)
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn.
- After the couscous is ready (about 5 minutes), throw in the chopped onions, beans and corn.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika powder, chili flakes and mix.
- All done. Serve and enjoy!
Veggie Lentil Stew
Yield: 4 servings
- Large pot
- Measuring Cups
- 1 cup red lentils dried
- 1 cup rice Brown rice is best. Be aware–cooking time may be slightly longer.
- 4 cloves garlic Fresh or minced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4-5 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric optional
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Put the cumin and cayenne pepper into a large pot and toast it slowly (no oil).
- In the meantime, dice the garlic and onion.
- After 2 or 3 minutes, add the olive oil, garlic and onion. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, red lentils, rice, the vegetable broth and water.
- Once it begins to boil, add the turmeric, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and let simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. Stir every few minutes until rice is cooked. Add the salt, remove and turn off heat. Add the paprika and serve!